When making a list of the largest hedge funds in the world, there are a variety of ways in which to classify the information.
However, most consider assets under management (AUM) or portfolio value as the most important factor.
Below is a list of the 10 largest hedge funds in the world, complete with the name, location, founder and AUM value:
1. Bridgewater Associates. Westport, Connecticut. Ray Dalio. AUM: $77.6 billion.
2. Man Group. London, England. James Man. AUM: $64.5 billion.
3. JP Morgan Asset Management. New York, New York. Mary Erdoes. AUM: $46.6 billion.
4. Brevan Howard Asset Management. London, England. Alan Howard and Jean-Philippe Blochet. AUM: $36.6 billion.
5. Och-Ziff Capital Management Group. New York, New York. Daniel Och. AUM: $28.5 billion.
6. Paulson & Co. New York, New York. John Paulson. AUM: $28 billion.
7. BlackRock Advisors. New York, New York. Larry Fink and Robert S. Kapito. AUM: $27.7 billion.
8. Winton Capital Management. London, England. David Harding. AUM: $27 billion.
9. Highbridge Capital Management. New York, New York. Glenn Dubin and Henry Swieca. AUM: $26.1 billion.
10. BlueCrest Capital Management. London, England. Bill Reeves and Michael Platt. AUM: $25 billion.
For more information on these hedge funds, as well as the many others that are not considered among the largest in the world, browse our hedge fund listings.
We have also compiled another list touching on the 10 top hedge funds based on equity portfolio returns only. This list includes:
1. Fortress Investment Group. Total 13F value: $2,097,006,000
2. Sprott Asset Management. Total 13F value: $294,671,000
3. Dafna Capital Management. Total 13F value: $16,416,000
4. Artis Capital Management. Total 13F value: $144,489,000
5. Palo Alto Investors. Total 13F value: $414,658,000
6. Raptor Capital Management. Total 13F value: $65,560,000
7. Newland Capital. Total value: $55,955,000
8. Bristol Investment Partners. Total 13F value: $83,033,000
9. Sun Valley Gold. Total 13F value: $267,204,000
10. Altai Capital. Total 13F value: $94,205,000
The hedge funds on our top 10 list are not the same as those considered to be the largest in the world. This is due to a different ranking system, with the largest hedge funds list taking into consideration the AUM only.
From a size perspective, the 10 hedge funds detailed above, ranked by AUM, are the largest in the world. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean these are the “best” or “top performing.”
Learning more about the largest hedge funds in the world can help you understand where some of the top investors are focusing now and the direction they are headed in the future.