A hedge fund interview
may be the biggest opportunity of your life. If you take the right approach and show that you are the right person for the job, you may end up part of a team that has its sights on reaching the top of the financial industry.
Before we go any further, keep this in mind: being granted an interview by a hedge fund is an honor in its own right. With so many people applying for each position, being called to discussed the job in greater detail is a big deal. Even if you are not selected for the position, you should look at this as a learning experience that will help you achieve greater success the next time.
As we have discussed in the past, there are many hedge fund interview questions
to expect. You never know exactly what is going to be asked of you, but you can be rest assured that the following questions will be thrown your way in some way, shape, or form:
1) Do you track hedge funds?
2) Why do you want to work in the hedge fund industry?
3) If you could invest in anything right now, what would be your number one choice?
4) What traits do you think you need to be a big success in the hedge fund industry?
5) Can you rank these investments in order of investing preference?
These are more than your average interview questions (you can expect those as well). These are meant to give the interviewer a better idea of your investing approach, as well as your knowledge of the industry as a whole.
How to Prepare for a Hedge Fund Interview
In addition to preparing for any questions that may be asked, there are other things you can do from a preparation point of view. Here are three tips to consider:
1. Dig up as much information as possible on the hedge fund. Who is the manager? How long have they been in business? What is their track record of success? What industries do they invest in the most?
2. Show why you are better for the job than the next person. There is no easy way of putting this: hedge funds are a cutthroat business. There is a lot of competition, from the bottom to the top, and you need to put your best foot forward at all times.
3. Dress for success. This should go without saying, but many people overlook the obvious. If you don’t dress the part you may find yourself missing out on the position for no good reason. Look your best.
Are you nervous about an upcoming hedge fund interview
? Although you may have butterflies in your stomach, these tips can help you achieve success.
If you have dreams of working alongside some of the top managers in the industry, such as Michael Novogratz
, George Soros
, and Eric Sprott
, you have to nail your interview.
Hedge Fund Research
What Are Hedge Funds?
The Top 10 Hedge Funds