When it comes to hedge fund interview questions, you need to be on your toes at all times. As you prepare for your job interview, it is good practice to be prepared for anything that may come your way.
Like any industry, you never know what you are going to be asked during a job interview. That being said, some questions are more common than others. When you prepare yourself for the most common hedge fund interview questions you will have a good base for readying yourself for the interview.
Five Common Hedge Fund Interview Questions
Imagine interviewing at one of the most successful hedge funds in the world, such as Fortress Investment Group or Sprott Asset Management. This opportunity does not come around often, so you want to put your best foot forward.
Here are five of the most common questions asked by hedge funds during an interview with a potential employee:
1. Do you track hedge funds? They want to know how much interest you have in the markets, while also hoping to judge your expertise and knowledge. Obviously, if you don’t know the first thing about hedge funds you probably aren’t going to apply for this type of job. Be prepared with information related to hedge funds in general, as well as the finer details of the firm you are interviewing with.
2. Why do you want to work in hedge funds? A simple question on the surface that can soon turn to terror if you are not prepared. As long as you have three primary reasons in mind as to why you want to work in hedge funds, you are in position to handle this question with ease.
3. If you could invest in anything right now, what would be it? Generally speaking, there is no right or wrong answer to this question. Instead, this is a question that gives the hiring party a better idea of how your brain works when it comes to investing.
4. What do you think it takes to be successful in the hedge fund industry? Working for a hedge fund is a unique experience. They are looking for somebody who knows what it takes to succeed, and is willing to make the appropriate concessions to impact the firm in a positive manner.
5. Can you rank the following investments in order of investing preference? This may be one of the most difficult questions you are asked, being that you have to put your knowledge to good use and provide an accurate and detailed answer on the spot. Once again, this is a way for the firm to get a clear idea of your investing mindset.
When you are prepared for these hedge fund interview questions, you will improve your chance of landing the position.