Top Books To Read Before You Die: As multimedia advances, books are being slowly forgotten, but they shouldn’t. Literature is not only cultivating, but also fascinating; it feeds imagination, it allows you to travel without moving (although traveling is amazing too, so don’t miss our Top 15 Places To Visit Before You Die list), it presents unknown and very different realities…
Before you go to sleep, when you’re on the bus (or a plane to one of the The Top 10 Places to Visit Before You Die), relaxing on the beach, waiting for the doctor to see you, in line at the bank, drinking wine on the countryside, enjoying the sun in the park… almost every relaxing occasion (and most of your down time) is the perfect time for a book.
As an avid reader, I’ve come across some books that one should not die without having read, including almost all of Plato’s dialogues or A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Tool; a comedic jewel. Of course, this is a highly personal selection based on taste, although many of the books you’ll find here are already considered to be classics of literature both old and modern.
So, which are the books that need to be read? Does every English-speaking person need to read Shakespeare? Are there other authors that are a must? Find out in this list of the top 50 books to read before you die.
Naturally, this list is open to suggestions. In fact, I’d love it if you readers could recommend other books that are not in this list but should definitely be read.
1. A Brief History of Time – Stephen Hawking
2. A Clockwork Orange – Anthony Burgess
3. A Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole
4. Alice in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll
5. Animal Farm – George Orwell
6. Before the End – Ernesto Sabato
7. Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
8. Catcher in the Rye – JD Salinger
9. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl
10. Chronicle of a Death Foretold – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
11. Complete Works of William Shakespeare
12. Cronopios and Famas – Julio Cortazar
13. Crime and Punishment – Fydor Dostoevsky
14. David Copperfield – Charles Dickens
15. Demian – Herman Hesse
16. Before the End – Ernesto Sabato
17. Every Dialogue Ever Written by Plato
18. Existentialism is a Humanism – Jean-Paul Sartre
19. Fictions – Jorge Luis Borges
20. Hopscotch – Julio Cortazar
21. In Cold Blood – Truman Capote
22. Inferno – Dante Alighieri (The first part of Dante’s epic poem, The Divine Comedy)
23. Invisible Cities – Italo Calvino
24. Les Miserables – Victor Hugo
25. Lolita – Vladimir Nabokov
26. Lord of the Flies – William Golding
Keep reading the following pages to find out which are the remaining 24 books to read before you die.