Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Energy Bull Andy Hall’s Astenbeck Capital Enjoys Strong Returns

Page 1 of 2

Andrew Hall of Astenbeck Capital Management, who is also referred as “Oil God” in the energy market, has been long crude despite the sell-off. Mr. Hall founded Astenbeck Capital Management in 2007 and at the same time he continued as one of the heads for Citigroup’s subsidiary Phibro LLC. He came into spotlight during 2008 crisis when Citigroup asked for permission from the Treasury Department to pay him $100 million as a bonus at a time when Citigroup was bleeding money. Citigroup succumbed to pressure and sold Phibro to Occidental Petroleum for $370 million. At that time Mr. Hall bought 80% of the stake with the help of Citigroup, while remaining 20% was held by Occidental Petroleum. The fund has an equity portfolio worth $121.59 million at the end of the second quarter. The fund is down by approximately 2% at the end of June.

So far this year, crude prices to the $26-levels in February amid oversupply concerns in Feburary before rebounding and reaching around $51 in June. In this way, the commodity prices are up by around 10% year-to-date. Astenbeck Capital cut its equity portfolio during the fourth quarter of 2015, unloading most positions and ended the first quarter with just four holdings, which it held onto throughout the first half of 2016. In this article, let’s take a closer look at how Astenbeck Capital Management holdings in Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:OXY), Pioneer Natural Resources (NYSE:PXD), EOG Resources Inc (NYSE:EOG), and CME Group Inc (NASDAQ:CMEperformed this year.

We believe that imitating hedge funds and other large institutional investors can be helpful in identifying stocks capable of outperforming the broader market. Through extensive research that covered portfolios of several hundred large investors between 1999 and 2012, we determined that following the small-cap stocks that large money managers are collectively bullish on, can generate monthly returns nearly 1.0 percentage points above the market (see more details here).

oil, rig, gas, petroleum, platform, production, petrol, sea, ocean, thailand, asia, fuel, working, water, sky, crane, cloud, power, pollution, horizontal, environmental, drill,


Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:OXY)

– Shares Owned by Astenbeck Capital Management (as of June 30): 980,000

– Value of Astenbeck Capital’s holding Management (as of June 30): $74.05 million

The largest position in Astenbeck Capital Management’s equity portfolio is represented by Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:OXY). The fund’s holding remained unchanged at 980,000 shares worth $74.05 million during the second quarter. The company suffered a major setback after production was halted at three of its Colombian fields because of an attack from guerrillas on its pipeline. The issue has been pending since July 4 and a repair to Cano Limon Line was expected to be finished recently. Cano Limon, Chipiron, and Caricare are the three fields, which produce 56,000 barrels per day. Rain, bad roads along with dangerous area has added to the woes. Shares of Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:OXY) have gained around 17% since the beginning of the year.

Follow Occidental Petroleum Corp (NYSE:OXY)
Trade (NYSE:OXY) Now!

On the next page, let’s look at Pioneer Natural Resources (NYSE:PXD), EOG Resources Inc (NYSE:EOG), and CME Group Inc (NASDAQ:CME).

Page 1 of 2

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!