One of the numerous issues senior citizens face is the difficulty in eating. Some lose their interest to cook, and some refrain having food due to change in their taste buds.
Additionally, the elderly taking medications restrict them from eating certain vegetables, meat, less salt, less sugar and no oil.
Above all, the digestion power is minimal, making them stay away from their favourite food and compromise on the taste.
Here are 5 easily digestible yet delicious recipes for elderly parents.
Oats are the most easily digestible and versatile cereal. You can cook it as a savory dish or a sweet one.
And the best part is you can cook easily. To begin your day with sweetness, here is an oatmeal pancake recipe for elderly parents.
How to do it?
1. Grind Oats, Flaxseed, Almond and Walnuts together.
2. Whisk a cup of milk and egg.
3. Add sugar to your preference. (you can use brown sugar or maple syrup too)
4. Slowly, add the ground mixture into it and mix.
5. Pour this batter on the non-sticky heated pan.
6. Flip it when the edges of the pancake lift.
7. Cook the other side for 2 minutes until it turns golden.
Serve it hot with honey or maple syrup. You can add fruits like bananas, blueberries and blackberries as a garnish.
Oats help lower blood cholesterol and heart disease serves as the best breakfast option for senior citizens.
Barley is a great dietary fibre when cooked well and can be fulfilling in your stomach for long hours. Although it didn’t gain much popularity, it’s best for lowering blood sugar levels.
How to do it?
1. Add oil in a pressure cooker, and when the heat is medium, add mustard seeds, urad dal, peanuts one by one to crackle.
2. Saute it until the dal is roasted. Add curry leaves, chopped onions, ginger and green chillies.
3. When the onions turn translucent, add your favourite vegetables like peas, carrot and beans.
4. Now, add barley grits and saute the mixture well for a few minutes.
5. Pour 1 cup of water and add an adequate amount of salt.
6. Allow it to cook until two whistles.
7. Serve it hot with a juice of half lemon and coriander as a garnish.
You can have this dish for breakfast, lunch or even an evening snack.
Vegetable Stir Fry
Vegetables are healthier and easily digestible. You’ve plenty of options to cook it as you want. When cooked with chicken, the protein value increases.
Additionally, it is a wholesome meal considering the nutritious value.
How to do it?
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
2. Add the cubed chicken breast, stir till it turns golden brown.
3. Add vegetables of your choice (zucchini, peppers, broccoli, peas, onions)
4. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the mixture turns soft and keep it aside.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger for the sauce.
6. Add the sauce mixture to the same pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes until it gets thickened.
7. Add the vegetable-chicken mixture to the thickened sauce and stir it.
8. Serve it with brown rice or noodles.
This is the best option for lunch.
Fruit salad is palatable, easy to make and loaded with immense vitamins and minerals. With age, senior citizens feel dehydrated.
Serving them with a fruit salad can revitalize their energy level and also balances the electrolytes in their body.
You can add fruits of your choice and sprinkle them with honey to enhance the taste.
All these recipes are a general opinion considering the health of elderly persons in common. If you’re allergic or restricted to eating certain ingredients, consult a nutritionist or a doctor to customize the recipes according to your elderly loved one.