Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Walt Disney Co (DIS) Stock: Should Dividend Growth Investors Buy Now?

Page 1 of 2

Walt Disney Co (NYSE:DIS) has grown its earnings-per-share at 14.0% a year over the last decade. Disney currently has a market cap near $200 billion, making it the 15th largest publicly traded United States based stock.

Despite its massive size, Disney’s growth days are far from over. This article examines the company’s current valuation and growth prospects for dividend growth investors.

Biggest Film Studios in the World

Among the funds that the Insider Monkey follows as part of its small-cap strategy, 60 held shares of the Walt Disney Company at the end of June, amassing some 2.30% of the company’s outstanding stock. In the current round of 13F filings, billionaire Ken Fisher’s Fisher Asset Management disclosed ownership of 8.51 million shares of Walt Disney, held as of the end of September.

Company Overview

Disney operates in 5 segments. Each segment’s percentage of total operating income generated for Disney in fiscal 2015 is shown below:

– Media Networks earned 53% of operating income

– Parks & Resorts earned 21% of operating income

– Studio Entertainment earned 13% of operating income

– Consumer Products earned 12% of operating income

– Interactive earned 1% of operating income

Media Networks

The Media Networks segment is Disney’s largest, by far. It generated over half of the company’s operating income in fiscal 2015.   Disney divides its Media Networks segment into 2 business units:

– Cable Networks

– Broadcasting

The Cable Networks business unit generated 87% of the Media Network’s operating income. The Broadcasting segment was responsible for the other 13%.

Disney’s cable networks include: ESPN (80% owned by Disney, ABC Family, Disney Channel, and A&E Television Network (50% owned by Disney). The A&E Television Network includes A&E, History Channel, and Lifetime.

Disney’s Broadcasting business unit owns the following:

– The ABC television network

– 33% of Hulu

– 50% of Fusion

– 8 domestic television stations

The 8 domestic television stations Disney owns are located in: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Raleigh-Durham, and Fresno

Parks & Resorts

Disney’s Parks & Resorts segment is its 2nd largest, responsible for 21% of operating income in fiscal 2015. The segment owns and operates the following:

– Walt Disney World in Florida

– Disneyland in California

– Aulani in Hawaii

– The Disney Vacation Club

– The Disney Cruise Line

– Adventures by Disney

– Disneyland in Paris (51% ownership)

– Disneyland in Hong Kong (48% ownership)

– Disney Resort in Shanghai (43% ownership)

– Disney Resort in Tokyo (not owned, licenses operations)

Studio Entertainment, Consumer Products, & Interactive

These 3 segments combined accounted for 26% of Disney’s operating income in fiscal 2015. The Studio Entertainment segment distributes films under the Walt Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Touchstone, and Lucas Films names.  Studio Entertainment is also home to Disney’s theatrical performances and the Disney Music Group.

The Consumer Products segment licenses the company’s well-known brands and characters (Marvel, Star Wars, Mickey Mouse, etc.) to publishers and retailers to create a wide variety of products.

The Interactive segment is Disney’s smallest by far – responsible for just 1% of operating income in 2015. The segment primarily creates and licenses games (for consoles, mobile phones, and the real world).

Follow Walt Disney Co/ (NYSE:DIS)
Trade (NYSE:DIS) Now!

Page 1 of 2

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!