Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

US Airways Group, Inc. (LCC), Delta Air Lines, Inc. (DAL): Airline Mergers Mean Higher Prices and Higher Profits

The merger of US Airways Group, Inc. (NYSE:LCC) and American Airlines took another step closer to reality, and airline stocks across the industry cheered the news. But there’s another side to the creation of another giant airline. Fewer airlines, particularly national airlines, means lower supply, and that means higher prices for you and me. So while investors are celebrating today, those looking to plan a vacation will pay the price.

US Airways Group, Inc. (NYSE:LCC)

More consolidation and fewer choices
Bankrupt AMR Corporation, which owns American Airlines, filed a plan to exit bankruptcy pending a merger with US Airways Group, Inc. (NYSE:LCC), creating the largest airline in the U.S. The plan details how much of the new company stakeholders would end up with, along with other issues that have complicated negotiations. AMR creditors and unions would own 72% of the new company, with US Airways Group, Inc. (NYSE:LCC) shareholders owning the remaining 28%.

One of the sticking points was executive positions and CEO pay. Under the latest plan, AMR CEO Tom Horton would get a proposed $20 million severance if the deal goes through. The offer was brought back into play today after a federal judge denied a similar payout in previous negotiations. If you want to see just how much airline executives care about unions, bondholders, and customers, just take note of how much time and energy they’re spending to make sure the CEO of a bankrupt company gets a multimillion-dollar bonus on his way out the door.

It looks as if the only thing standing in the way of a US Airways Group, Inc. (NYSE:LCC)-American Airlines merger is antitrust regulators, which have had little problem with industry consolidation in the past. Delta Air Lines, Inc. (NYSE:DAL) merged with Northwest, United with Continental, and Southwest with AirTran in recent years. Why should this merger be any different?

If the deal does go through, there will be even fewer choices for customers. Less supply means higher prices, which will cost consumers and line the pockets of airlines. That’s why investors are bidding up shares across the industry today.

Those on the sidelines benefit the most
Two of the notable movers today are Delta Air Lines, Inc. (NYSE:DAL) and United Continental Holdings Inc (NYSE:UAL) , which are up 5.3% and 5%, respectively. Investors and executives couldn’t be happier about a US Airways Group, Inc. (NYSE:LCC)-American Airlines merger, because they’ll get the benefits of lower supply without lifting a finger.

If you’re looking to invest in airline consolidation, these are the two I would look at. US Airways Group, Inc. (NYSE:LCC) has its own history of bankruptcy, and its combination with another bankrupt airline has trouble written all over it.

The article Airline Mergers Mean Higher Prices and Higher Profits originally appeared on

Fool contributor Travis Hoium has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned.

Copyright © 1995 – 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

DOWNLOAD FREE REPORT: Warren Buffett's Best Stock Picks

Let Warren Buffett, George Soros, Steve Cohen, and Daniel Loeb WORK FOR YOU.

If you want to beat the low cost index funds by 19 percentage points per year, look no further than our monthly newsletter.In this free report you can find an in-depth analysis of the performance of Warren Buffett's entire historical stock picks. We uncovered Warren Buffett's Best Stock Picks and a way to for Buffett to improve his returns by more than 4 percentage points per year.

Bonus Biotech Stock Pick: You can also find a detailed bonus biotech stock pick that we expect to return more than 50% within 12 months.
Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.