#3 SUPERVALU INC. (NYSE:SVU)
– Shares Owned by Glenhill Advisors (as of June 30): 16.68 Million
– Value of Holding (as of June 30): $78.73 Million
Moving on, SUPERVALU INC. (NYSE:SVU) was another consumer stock in which Glenhill Advisors increased its stake during the second quarter by 17%. Other hedge funds that also increased their stakes in the company during that period included Terence Hogan‘s Addison Clark Management and Conan Laughlin’s North Tide Capital. The wholesale grocery distributor has lost over 60% of its market capitalization since its shares peaked in April last year and currently trades down 30.58% year-to-date. According to a regulatory filing submitted by the company last month, it is planning to spin-off its grocery business Save-A-Lot. Following this spin-off SUPERVALU INC. (NYSE:SVU)’s shareholders will own 60% of the outstanding shares of Save-A-Lot and SUPERVALU INC. will own the remaining 40%, which it plans to bring down to 20% in the 24 months following the completion of the spin-off. SUPERVALU’s stock spike over 10% on August 15 after the company revealed that it has signed a new supply agreement with gourmet supermarket chain The Fresh Store. However, the stock has given up all of those gains this month amid a meltdown in food prices. The ownership of SUPERVALU INC. (NYSE:SVU) among funds covered by us remained unchanged during the second quarter, but the aggregate value of their holdings in it slid by 13% during that time.
#2 Dicks Sporting Goods Inc (NYSE:DKS)
– Shares Owned by Glenhill Advisors (as of June 30): 1.92 Million
– Value of Holding (as of June 30): $86.47 Million
Dicks Sporting Goods Inc (NYSE:DKS) was the only stock among Glenhill Advisors’s top five consumer picks in which the fund reduced its stake during the second quarter, by 44%. Considering that Dicks Sporting Goods Inc (NYSE:DKS)’s stock ended second quarter in the red and has seen a meteoric rise in the current quarter, one can say that the fund won’t be too pleased with that decision. Shares of the sporting goods retailer have appreciated by over 65% this year with most of those gains coming in the last two months. A large part of the gain that the company has seen this year have come on back of its largest competitor The Sports Authority declaring bankruptcy and Dicks Sporting Goods Inc purchasing the brand name and other intellectual property of the former in a bankruptcy auction. Though most analysts who track the stock have positive views on it currently, they are advising clients to wait for a pullback in it before entering. During the second quarter, the ownership of Dicks Sporting Goods Inc among funds covered by us increased by nine to 45 and the aggregate value of their holdings in it jumped by 52% to $772.3 million.
#1 Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Co (NASDAQ:HMHC)
– Shares Owned by Glenhill Advisors (as of June 30): 7.86 Million
– Value of Holding (as of June 30): $122.95 Million
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Co (NASDAQ:HMHC) was Glenhill Advisors top consumer stock pick at the end of second quarter with the fund having inched up its stake in the company by 3% during that quarter. Shares of the education solutions company have been on a downward spiral since the beginning of second-half of 2015 and have lost 30% of their value so far in 2016. For its most recent quarter, the company reported a per share loss of $0.23, much higher than the per share loss of $0.02 expected by analysts, and revenue of $392 million, which was $39.25 million lower than analysts’ estimate. For the same quarter of the previous financial year, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Co (NASDAQ:HMHC) had reported a per share loss of $0.06 on revenue of $379.90 million. Following the earnings release, on August 5, analysts at BMO Capital Markets downgraded the stock to ‘Market Perform’ from ‘Overweight’ and also reduced their price target on it to $17 from $22. The number of hedge funds covered by us who had long positions in Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Co (NASDAQ:HMHC) rose by two to 24 during the second quarter, but the aggregate value of their holdings in it came down by 15.7% to $718.82 million during that time.