As far as online entertainment goes, we have access to a treasure trove of new technologies. Technologies that are perceived as capable of changing the status quo, that make us think, question and ponder the way we consider and see things around us. But keeping a finger on the pulse of the new developments within the digital world can be tricky, and things are changing so fast all the time, it can be very disconcerting getting used to one thing and, in a split second, finding that it is out-dated or even obsolete. Fear not, though. We have had a good, long look at the latest, hottest trends in online entertainment so you don’t miss out on any of the big stuff going on in the technology industry right now.
- The eSports Effect – So: eSports. Maybe you’ve heard of them, maybe you haven’t. Still, there’s no denying that they are becoming increasingly popular. But maybe we should cut to the chase. To put it simply, eSports is the term used for competitive videogame play of a sporting variety. Where once you may’ve gone for a kick-about with your mates down the local park now, thanks to the spread of Wi-Fi, you can join in with likeminded players across the globe. But this isn’t amateur hour, sports fans. Oh, no. In fact, eSports tournaments usually take place between professional gamers. Fame is a regular fixture here, with some players even having their own fan base.
- The Reality of VR Growth – In recent times it’s as if every new piece of tech is like something straight out of a George Lucas movie. This is mostly because technology keeps changing so fast. Just when you make peace with your battered old phone that’s, let’s face it, only good for storing pictures of you back in high school or at uni, a new model comes along and renders it obsolete. At first, you can’t help feeling slightly put out because change is scary, but you quickly adapt and move on to the next promising development. However, one such development opportunity has presented itself in the heart of the online community that is growing and changing with people all over the world at a remarkable speed, one that’s proving just as exciting as it is overwhelming. Virtual reality – or VR – is becoming as standard a feature in modern households as windows and doors, and what an opening it provides! From video games to movies, for better or worse, VR provides an interactive experience to a user that immerses them fully in a virtual world. As virtual reality technology advances, it attracts as much controversy as it does enthusiasm. Regardless of any misgivings, though, there is no denying that virtual reality has come of age in the modern world and looks set to enjoy a promising future.
- Online Gambling Participation – Gambling via the Internet has seen a sharp rise in recent years. We Brits have always like a little flutter here and there, but now it’s become easier than ever for us to indulge, and the figures show we’re doing just that. According to the UK Gambling Commission’s report there are over 180,000 gaming machines in the country that yielded over £2.7 billion in 2017, so it’s clear that slot machines are here to stay.
What makes it even better is that you don’t need any additional software or tools to be able to play these games, so now you can enjoy cool free slots without needing to download. It is, of course, easy to account for the surge in the popularity of online gambling when you look at the perks. For example: games to suit all tastes, from poker with pirates to real-time roulette; a whole host of great prizes up for grabs; and heavily discounted (if not free) welcome bonuses. And all from the comfort of your own home, or any location you choose. Can you beat that?
- The Market for SVOD – ‘What on earth is that? ‘ you may ask yourself when confronted with these four seemingly random letters. In fact, they form a simple acronym: Subscription Video On Demand. Still not sure what that means? Well, you should, because it’s probably the online trend that has the most significant impact on all our lives. Examples of on-demand video streaming can be found everywhere – from Netflix to Now TV – and these systems are garnering popularity at an incredible rate. For example, last year, Netflix became more popular than BBC iPlayer, as far as streaming TV shows is concerned. With more and more people opting for SVOD services, whether they like it for its content or tariffs, it is plain to see that the market is growing, and will likely continue to do so as viewers’ TVs become more internet-friendly.
- The Rise of Live Streaming Platforms – Tired of buggy uploads and downloads? Maybe you want to broadcast an important event like a concert or wedding ceremony to friends, family and followers while it is happening. Whatever your reasons the aim of live streaming is the same: to transmit real-time video coverage over the Internet for everyone to enjoy. With platforms such as Facebook Live fully operational and working, individuals can now broadcast their life stories as if they are TV stars with their own shows. It is also not unheard of for people to earn a living from live streaming these days.
Our picks have been made based on trends that boast incredible longevity within online communities, each with its own enduring presence that shows no sign of letting up anytime soon. Hopefully, these examples will provide a useful guide for what to look out for when thinking about the most appealing inclinations of the Internet nowadays. There’s something for everyone, whether you’re a movie buff or a sports fan. No matter what your preferences, there’s a whole host of exciting and fulfilling areas for you to explore across the web.