I love Father’s Day. No, it’s not because I think it’s such a special day that everyone awaits with anticipation. Let’s be real here: It’s always going to be the runner-up to Mother’s Day — not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Father’s Day-sized returns
No, there are two main reasons I love Father’s Day: I’m a proud father myself, and Father’s Day just makes me think of my dad and all the things he’s done for me. Simple as that.
I owe my love of investing to my father. And with that in mind, I give you the Father’s Day Portfolio. These are 10 stocks that remind me of my dad, and together they will form a formidable, market-beating team that will offer investors outstanding returns for years to come.
- Dicks Sporting Goods Inc (NYSE:DKS) is a family affair. CEO Edward Stack is the son of founder Richard Stack, and he owns close to 18% of the shares outstanding. I like what this company has done and where it’s headed. It controls 8.5% of the tremendous sporting-goods market.
- Boston Beer Co Inc (NYSE:SAM) seems an appropriate call here. Having a beer with your dad is one of the great moments in life, and given that this company sold more than 50 beer varieties under the Samuel Adams brand in 2012, chances are pretty darn good that there may be a Sam Adams in Dad’s fridge.
- My dad drives a Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) Expedition, and he’s owned a few other Fords in his life. Every time I see the blue oval I think of him, and I think this company will play a big part in the fast-changing automobile market.
- I smile so wide it looks like I have a coat hanger in my mouth when I see my dad using his iPhone and iPad, courtesy of Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL). The guy turned 71 this Father’s Day (happy birthday, Dad!) and he’s embraced technology like a 15-year-old.
- We all know that if you have a question these days you can just ask
Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG). These guys do a lot of things well, but search and maps are their specialty.
- It’s not just iDevices for my dad, either. He loves his new Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN), not to mention the fact that he can order just about anything from the e-commerce giant.
- My dad’s a doctor, and St. Jude Medical, Inc. (NYSE:STJ) is a device company that has a wonderfully diverse product mix. From heart devices to strokes, Parkinson’s, and migraines, this company is playing a big role in up-and-coming medical technology.