Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member., Inc. (ADR) (BIDU): Creating a Mobile and Video Powerhouse, Inc. (ADR) (NASDAQ:BIDU)With the transition to mobile search around the world, it probably shouldn’t be too surprising that, Inc. (ADR) (NASDAQ:BIDU) has struggled over the last year. In fact, the dominant player in Chinese search faces a bigger issue as the Chinese move quicker towards mobile. The China Internet Network Information Center reported that the total online population rose to 591 million with wireless users surging to 464 million. The percentage of the population on the Internet only reached 44 percent, providing hints that the next 100 million users will come via smartphones.

In order to meet this onslaught into the wireless world,, Inc. (ADR) (NASDAQ:BIDU) has been spending heavily to improve the mobile search experience as well as to add technologies for mobile travel reservations and purchase a mobile app store and mobile video platform. All of these moves could make the company into a mobile powerhouse in China, yet the stock market has been focused on the higher expenses, causing earnings expectations to wilt for 2013.

Mobile apps platform, Inc. (ADR) (NASDAQ:BIDU) recently announced a deal to purchase mobile apps platform 91 Wireless for $1.9 billion. The deal helped push the stock to recent highs while causing NetDragon to collapse in Hong Kong trading. The deal involved paying $1.09 billion to NetDragon for a 57% stake and $800 million to the remaining 43% holders.

According to reports, 91 Wireless only holds a 15.6% market share of the mobile apps business in China with Qihoo 360 Technology Co Ltd (NYSE:QIHU)’s Mobile Assistant controlling 27.4%. Combined, the two platforms only control 43% of the market, providing the ability for a leader to consolidate it in the next couple of years. The details suggest that NetDragon’s mobile revenue rose more than 200% in Q1 to reach $23.5 million. At a run rate of nearly $100 million,, Inc. (ADR) (NASDAQ:BIDU) paid a significant price for the app platforms future growth.

Video deals

The company recently purchased PPStream for $370 million to become a leader in the online video market, one that is quickly turning towards mobile. It will merge this business with the existing video platform iQiyi. According to the company, the combined entity will become China’s largest online video platform by number of mobile users and video viewing time.

This entity will compete against Youku Tudou Inc (ADR) (NYSE:YOKU) for dominance in the online video sector. That company claims to be the leading Internet television company in China. For Q1, Youku Tudou Inc (ADR) (NYSE:YOKU) had 100 million active monthly users on mobile with over 170 million daily video views. Total revenues were only $83 million, providing an example of how a corresponding division at, Inc. (ADR) (NASDAQ:BIDU) would only equate to less than 10% of the $1.2 billion expected for Q2.

DOWNLOAD FREE REPORT: Warren Buffett's Best Stock Picks

Let Warren Buffett, George Soros, Steve Cohen, and Daniel Loeb WORK FOR YOU.

If you want to beat the low cost index funds by 19 percentage points per year, look no further than our monthly newsletter.In this free report you can find an in-depth analysis of the performance of Warren Buffett's entire historical stock picks. We uncovered Warren Buffett's Best Stock Picks and a way to for Buffett to improve his returns by more than 4 percentage points per year.

Bonus Biotech Stock Pick: You can also find a detailed bonus biotech stock pick that we expect to return more than 50% within 12 months.
Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.