Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Why’d The Dow Skip Apple Inc. (AAPL), Google Inc (GOOG) & Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK.B)?

Page 1 of 2

The Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) styles itself as “a clear, straightforward view of the stock market and, by extension, the U.S. economy.” The 30 components are members of an extremely elite club — arguably the best of the best.

The market’s premier index will get a serious makeover next Monday, when three stocks wave farewell due to their low share prices and are replaced by three fresh tickers. But the Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) left the three most obvious choices on the outside looking in.

What gives?

Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL)

This chart will tell much of the story that’s keeping Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) and Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG) out of the Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI). Explaining Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE:BRK.A)‘s exclusion will require some additional insight:

Comparing the Big Boys | Infographics.

Judging by market caps alone, all three of these non-Dow stocks should have been shoo-ins for this radical makeover. They are the three largest stocks on the market, not counting current Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) members. And Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) holds the title for biggest market cap in the world, for crying out loud! Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL)’s $422 billion valuation puts even Dow leader ExxonMobil to shame.

But it ain’t that easy, Jack. The share price data throws a bucket of ice water all over Apple’s and Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG)’s arguably well-deserved Dow ambitions.

Because the Dow index is weighted by share prices and not market caps, adding these stocks would wreak havoc on the Dow’s fundamental structure. IBM’s currently gargantuan 9% influence on the Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) would evaporate into almost nothing. Combined, Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) and Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG) would account for about 40% of the index’s weight, leaving 60% of the total Dow value to be divided between the other 28 members.

Of course, Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE:BRK.A)’s “A” shares would turn the Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) into a close proxy for buying Berkshire alone. That stock class has never, ever split, even as investing guru Warren Buffett delivered decades of market-crushing gains. That’s why the stock trades at more than $172,000 per share today.

The odd man out
But what about Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE:BRK.B)’s class “B” shares, then? This batch of stock certificates always traded at a serious sticker-shock discount compared to the “A” shares, and it actually split 50-for-1 in 2010. Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE:BRK.B) would sport an above-average heft on the Dow, but not outrageously so.

But then, you won’t find any other dual-class stocks on the index today. In fact, I can’t find any evidence that dual-class stocks have ever held a Dow seat. Please use the comments box below to correct me if I’m wrong. This seems like an unspoken but unbroken rule that will keep Berkshire — and Google, for that matter, which will soon be a triple-class stock — out of the Dow.

Page 1 of 2

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!