Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

United Continental Holdings Inc (UAL), Delta Air Lines, Inc. (DAL): Signs Pointing Skyward for Major Airlines

Page 1 of 2

As the summer flying season winds down, a couple of the major carriers have reported items that should positively impact their results and stock prices. It looks like the industry may indeed be in store for more consistently good earnings. Plus, the companies themselves are showing readiness to resume growth trajectories.

Take a look at these recent developments and decide how airlines’ summer quarter earnings may trend. Also, some perspective for the long term may be gained from these moves.

United Continental Holdings Inc (NYSE:UAL)

United Continental Holdings Inc (NYSE:UAL) bringing back pilots
The announcement by United Continental that it is recalling 600 pilots, about 5% of its total, arrives as air traffic figures are climbing. Delta Air Lines, Inc. (NYSE:DAL) had also mentioned that it is intending to hire about 300 pilots.

These largest carriers tend to set trends for the entire industry in terms of seating capacity additions and airfare increases. The employee recalls are indicative that the industry has rebounded at least to the point it was prior to the 2008 financial crisis.

United Continental Holdings Inc (NYSE:UAL) has notably been keeping capacity flat to low year over year as it aims to improve efficiency and contend with intra-domestic competitors. Returning pilots might be put to work on international routes primarily, as the airline continues to build its overseas presence.

Delta places aircraft order
Delta Air Lines, Inc. (NYSE:DAL) followed up United Continental Holdings Inc (NYSE:UAL)’s Boeing and Airbus fleet additions earlier this year by ordering 40 new Airbus aircraft for delivery between 2015 and 2017.

The order is yet another event confirming the view that the industry has stabilized and is on track for steady profitability. It is probable that if positive conditions remain, the new aircraft will not be replacements, but rather new fleet additions.

Since 75% of the Airbus deliveries will be A321s, and mostly utilized on domestic routes, it appears that the carrier sees opportunities to expand within the U.S. It, too, is keeping capacity restrained for now. The other 25% — A330s to be precise — will likely be flown primarily overseas. Delta Air Lines, Inc. (NYSE:DAL)’s key international routes are largely transatlantic.

US Airways posts solid August traffic
Monthly traffic results normally do not reveal a great deal about overall earnings at an airline, because cost factors are excluded. But, US Airways Group Inc (NYSE:LCC) is certainly moving in the right direction, according to its August report.

Page 1 of 2

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!