Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

These Stocks Are in Spotlight on M&A-Related News

Page 1 of 2

With the stock market losing ground on the back of expectations of a possible interest rate hike by the Fed next month, fueled by strong non-farm payroll and unemployment data. However, ahead of a new trading week, several stocks are making moves based on some particular developments, such as earnings or Mergers & Acquisitions-related news. Therefore, on Monday morning, Apache Corporation (NYSE:APA)Plum Creek Timber Co. Inc. (NYSE:PCL)Weyerhaeuser Co (NYSE:WY)Perrigo Company plc Ordinary Shares (NYSE:PRGO), and Mylan NV (NASDAQ: MYL) are in the spotlight on the back of some M&A activity. Let’s take a closer look.

stock market, new york, wall street, banking, trade

Stuart Monk/

Smart money investors, including many of those that we track, are often betting on possible takeover targets, the idea being that a sale of the company if conducted properly can unlock significant shareholder value. However, these investors have to conduct due diligence and employ a complex analysis in order to identify these stocks. After an extensive research, we have determined a better way to generate market beating returns from imitating smart money investors and this is focusing on their best small-cap ideas. Our strategy involves imitating the 15 stocks that the funds from our database are collectively most bullish on and it has returned 102% since August 2012, compared to around 49% for the S&P 500 ETF (SPY) (read more details here).

Apache Corporation (NYSE:APA) has jumped by nearly 10% after Bloomberg reported that the company had been approached by an unidentified buyer regarding a takeover. Apache Corporation (NYSE:APA), an $18 billion independent energy company, declined the offer, according to the source, citing people familiar with the matter. The company hired Goldman Sachs to examine a defense strategy and it is not certain whether or not further negotiations will take place. Amid a slump in oil prices, Apache’s stock is down by over 31% in the last 52 weeks and has witnessed a decline of the smart money sentiment. Among over 730 funds that we track, a total of 32 held around 6% of the company’s outstanding stock at the end of June, down from 37 a quarter earlier. However, in the third quarter, Richard S. Pzena‘s Pzena Investment Management added 1.33 million shares to its stake in Apache Corporation (NYSE:APA), taking it to 1.89 million shares.

Follow Apache Corp (NYSE:APA)
Trade (NYSE:APA) Now!

Next in line are two companies, Plum Creek Timber Co. Inc. (NYSE:PCL) and Weyerhaeuser Co (NYSE:WY), which earlier today announced signing a definitive merger agreement. Weyerhaeuser will acquire Plum Creek, offering 1.60 shares for each share of Plum Creek. After the deal is closed, shareholders of Weyerhaeuser will hold around 65% of the combined company’s common stock, with Plum Creek Timber Co. Inc. (NYSE:PCL) shareholders, owning the other 35%. On the back of the news, Plum Creek’s stock has jumped by over 15%, while, shares of Weyerhaeuser are trading around 4.5% lower. Among the funds from our database, 14 investors held around 8% of Plum Creek Timber Co. Inc. (NYSE:PCL), while 29 funds reported holding some 7% of Weyerhaeuser Co (NYSE:WY)’s shares at the end of June.

Follow Plum Creek Timber Co Inc (NYSE:PCL)
Trade (NYSE:PCL) Now!

Page 1 of 2

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!