Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member., Inc. (AMZN), Apple Inc. (AAPL): When Everyone Is Writing Books, Who’s Left to Read Them?

Page 1 of 2

Eleven years ago a New York Times opinion piece exhorted those who think they’ve got a book in them to think again. After going through a list of, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) free and daily deal e-books I must add, “Think harder this time!!”, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN)

The book publishers were a public service, it turns out, as they read the manuscripts so you didn’t have to. A belated thank you to all those freshly minted English lit grads who slogged through the slush piles.

Now there are 48,968 how to self-publish books, cashing in on the secret dream of 81% of Americans who believe they have a book in them. Maybe the remaining 19% have a more modest dream just to be mentioned in the acknowledgments.

Before e-books became a phenomenon 80,000 books were published annually in the US in 2002. Searching on Amazon just now querying e-books, “2,034,436 Results” is what I got.

Let me put it like this, you go to a party but everyone save you is the most verbose of extroverts. The only one left to listen to all the anecdotes is you. Not much of a party after all, is it?

Eventually, despite a 99% US literacy rate there won’t be enough readers. Without the traditional support publishers provided who will market these books? Who will edit them?

Who was the game changer: Amazon or Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL)?

There is no question Amazon has been a game changer in the book business. They helped put Borders out of business; Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is on the ropes. Independent and used booksellers might as well be antiquarians., Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN)’s devices are delivery systems of content purchased from the Amazon ecosystem and are currently loss leaders depending on the future success of Prime adoption and non-book e-commerce. At what point do all these books with so much competing content available also become loss leaders due to reader exhaustion? Could Amazon charge authors a modicum for its CreateSpace publishing or charge for some editorial oversight?

Amazon has the cloud and all the other e-commerce and investors should be glad of these other revenue streams. Amazon is also creating their own original video content, as are Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO) and Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX), but Amazon’s dozen or so shows do not a network make., Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) CEO Jeff Bezos said in an interview last year, “All of our products here at Amazon, products and services, are built by missionaries. And I call it missionaries versus mercenaries.” It should be noted that Amazon was buying books for $13.00 and selling at a very unmercenary $9.99 before Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) came in and changed the pricing model for e-books when it negotiated with the big publishers. Apple had already done this with the record companies changing the music industry forever.

While the Department of Justice case, USA v Apple, will be decided in a few months, the future of e-books is still evolving. In any case, any fines meted out to Apple can be found in the Cupertino sofa cushions.

Page 1 of 2

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!