Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ), And Making This Play

For several months, Wall Street has recognized the hidden value in Vodafone Group Plc (ADR) (NASDAQ:VOD) due to its 45% stake in Verizon Wireless, and it has been speculating about the chance that Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), Verizon Wireless’ 55% owner, would purchase the remaining 45% from Vodafone.

Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ)

Now, the rumor seems to come closer to reality. Although Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ) has not made any official bid yet, the company has hired advisers to make a move to take full control of Verizon Wireless.

According to Reuters, Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ) intended to offer a 50/50 cash and stock bid, and it was ready to take the bid public if Vodafone Group Plc (ADR) (NASDAQ:VOD) did not want to discuss for the Verizon Wireless buyout. However, Reuters’ source said that the possible offer price might be around $100 billion. I personally think that a $100 billion price tag is not a fair price for Vodafone.

Verizon Wireless – an important part of Verizon Communications

Verizon Wireless is considered the largest wireless service provider in the U.S., with around 98.2 million in retail connections. In the past three years, Verizon Wireless has experienced a steady growth in its top line, from $63.4 billion in 2010 to $75.9 billion in 2012.

Most of its revenue, $63.7 billion, was service revenue, while equipment revenue was only $12.1 billion in 2012. In 2012, Verizon Wireless generated around $21.77 billion in operating income. Indeed, Verizon Wireless is becoming a very important part of Verizon Communications’ business.

Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ)had $115.84 billion in total revenue, and Verizon Wireless accounted for 66% it. Verizon Communications’ operating income came in at $13.16 billion in 2012, while net income attribute to non-controlling interest (in this case 45% of Verizon Wireless’ stake is owned by Vodafone) was nearly $9.7 billion. As Verizon Wireless generated more than $29.7 billion in EBITDA, Vodafone’s 45% stake would be equivalent to $13.36 billion in EBITDA.

Vodafone is cheap when its stake in Verizon Wireless is factored in

If we apply an EBITDA multiple of 9, Vodafone’s 45% stake in Verizon Wireless should be worth at around $120 billion. According to The Wall Street Journal, if the cash flow multiples of comparable industry players were used, Vodafone’s stake should be worth around $130 billion.

Indeed, famous hedge funds manager David Einhorn pointed out that when Vodafone Group Plc (ADR) (NASDAQ:VOD) was worth around $120 billion on the market, the market placed no value on its 45% stake in Verizon Wireless. He said that being a minority owner, Vodafone had suffered, as Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ) had restricted Verizon Wireless to pay dividends for years.

DOWNLOAD FREE REPORT: Warren Buffett's Best Stock Picks

Let Warren Buffett, George Soros, Steve Cohen, and Daniel Loeb WORK FOR YOU.

If you want to beat the low cost index funds by 19 percentage points per year, look no further than our monthly newsletter.In this free report you can find an in-depth analysis of the performance of Warren Buffett's entire historical stock picks. We uncovered Warren Buffett's Best Stock Picks and a way to for Buffett to improve his returns by more than 4 percentage points per year.

Bonus Biotech Stock Pick: You can also find a detailed bonus biotech stock pick that we expect to return more than 50% within 12 months.
Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.