Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

McDonald’s Corporation (MCD): This Restaurant Giant Plans to Win

McDonald's Corporation (NYSE:MCD)Last quarter, McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE:MCD) same store sales in the US and Europe benefited from new product launches, but China was affected by the avian flu. The company has a ‘plan to win’ strategy, where the company is focusing on menu, customer experience and brand expansion. Another strategy – new packaging – which is exclusively focusing on communicating the brand, will be rolled out in all of its stores during 2013. Let’s look at these strategies in detail.

New product launches are benefiting the US and Europe

McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE:MCD) US same store sales have outperformed the Street estimates significantly with SSS up 2.4% against the Street estimates of 1.9%. The company has removed its Fruit & Walnut Salad and Chicken Selects from the menu so that there will be scope for new offerings. The company launched Fish McBites and Filet O’ Fish LTO items. The company is aggressively promoting its Dollar Menu with the Onion Cheddar Burger and Hot ‘n Spicy McChicken sandwich. It has also launched a $1 Hot ‘n Spicy McChicken sandwich in half of its market.

Recently, comps were benefited from the launching of the Egg White Delight in the breakfast category and Premium McWraps. Additionally, McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE:MCD) is offering three new toppings to its Quarter Pounder Burger, i.e. Bacon Habanero Ranch, The Deluxe and Bacon and Cheese.

In Europe, the company reported same store sales up 2% against the Street estimates of 1%. Russia and the UK are also generating positive same store sales with the company’s ‘barbell menu strategy’ and breakfast expansion.

Plan to win

The company is working on three things under its ‘Plan to Win’ strategy. These three things are menu changes, providing excellent customer experience and easy accessibility to a broad customer base.

The company is always trying to offer something new or fresh to its customers. This year it has several new products like Fish McBites, Premium McWraps, etc.

The company believes that customer experience is the utmost important priority. In order to provide a good customer experience, the company has re-imaged 60% of its restaurants and expects to complete the remaining 40% over the next two years. The customer is also making use of better technology to enhance this experience further.

As to the third priority of easy access, the company has extended operating hours and is ensuring that the company is fulfilling the needs of all customers.

New packaging design

The company is planning to roll out its new packaging design for carry out bags and beverage cups to communicate its brand. This new packaging will contain text, illustrations and QR Codes. Text will be translated into 18 languages. New packages will give more information about the product customers are eating, and promote McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE:MCD) as a brand. The company stated that this will help to communicate information about the brand in an easy way.

Peer analysis

Let’s look at the two peers of McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE:MCD). What strategy do they have to compete?

DOWNLOAD FREE REPORT: Warren Buffett's Best Stock Picks

Let Warren Buffett, George Soros, Steve Cohen, and Daniel Loeb WORK FOR YOU.

If you want to beat the low cost index funds by 19 percentage points per year, look no further than our monthly newsletter.In this free report you can find an in-depth analysis of the performance of Warren Buffett's entire historical stock picks. We uncovered Warren Buffett's Best Stock Picks and a way to for Buffett to improve his returns by more than 4 percentage points per year.

Bonus Biotech Stock Pick: You can also find a detailed bonus biotech stock pick that we expect to return more than 50% within 12 months.
Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.