Several hedge funds made big after Apollo Group (APOL), the company behind University of Phoenix, reported profits and sales above analyst estimates, reported Businessweek. The stock rose from $43.33 at close yesterday to trade at a peak of $48.85 this morning.
Several hedge funds made big on the increase:
1. Maverick Capital – Lee Ainslie: Gained $52.5 million
2. Glenview Capital – Larry Robbins: Gained $10.9 million
3. Renaissance Technologies – Jim Simons: Gained $10.5 million
4. Aqr Capital Management – Cliff Asness: Gained $7.9 million
5. Ariel Investments – John W. Rogers: Gained $6.6 million
6. Citadel Investment Group – Ken Griffin: Gained $3.8 million
7. Canyon Capital Advisors – Joshua Friedman and Mitchell Julis: Gained $2.8 million
8. D E Shaw – D. E. Shaw: Gained $2.5 million
9. Select Equity Group – Robert Joseph Caruso: Gained $1.4 million
DISCLAIMER: These calculations assume that these hedge funds did not increase or reduce their stock positions in APOL since the end of June. We did not take into account their option positions.