Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Yahoo! Inc. (YHOO) Investors’ Incentive in the new IPO

There is a considerable amount of uncertainty that surrounds the direction that Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO)‘s stock will take following Alibaba’s IPO. There are two main features of this IPO that according to Rob Sanderson, who is a managing director at MKM Partners, tilt the scale in Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO)’s favor. During an intervention on CNBC, he explained them to be tax efficiency and the presence of a liquidity event in general.

Yahoo icon

” […] Another giant swing factor that can’t be overlooked here is the potential for tax efficiency on the second half of the spin, and there is an enormous amount of value for Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO) shareholders, should there be a tax efficient mechanism to distribute the Alibaba portion […], ” said Sanderson.

If Alibaba’s IPO is compared with a spinoff, with Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO) acting as a parent company, then history has some worrying lessons to offer to the investors. EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC)’s spinoff of VMware, Inc. (NYSE:VMW) and 3Com’s spinoff of Palm are two particular events where it didn’t fare very well for the parent company. In both these cases, the parent company sold off a few days ahead of the IPO, never to recover for years to come. Many Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO) investors are in the game just for the same reason. As soon as Alibaba’s IPO is no longer the buzz of the street, investors might dump Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO).

Sanderson pointed out that the sum of parts approach to valuation is generally problematic, as companies do not trade at those values except when there is a liquidity event, which in this case is Alibaba’s IPO. Additionally, as Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO) is only committed to sell around 30% of its current stake in Alibaba for the IPO, a lot depends on what the company chooses to do with its remaining 70% stake. In these circumstances, tax efficiency and high valuation owing to this liquidity event play a vital role.

To provide a numerical perspective, Yahoo!’s investors  value their investment to gain $26 – $45 / share,  while the initial portion of Alibaba shares has an embedded Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO) share value of $5.75 to $6.3.

Disclosure: none

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!