Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ), Vodafone Group Plc (ADR) (VOD), Alcatel Lucent SA (ADR) (ALU): An Unsung Beneficiary of This $130 Billion Acquisition

Page 1 of 2

Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ)‘s  acquisition of Vodafone Group Plc (ADR) (NASDAQ:VOD)‘s  45% stake in Verizon Wireless for a whopping $130 billion would be one of the biggest acquisitions in history. While it clearly benefits both Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone Group Plc (ADR) (NASDAQ:VOD), there is another beneficiary that investors seem to have forgotten.

How does it benefit Verizon?

Verizon Wireless is the largest mobile network operator in the U.S., with nearly 120 million subscribers. In 2012, Verizon’s wireless segment contributed $75.8 billion of the company’s $115.8 billion in operating revenue. More importantly, Verizon created $21.7 billion in operating income from this segment, essentially all of its operating income.

Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ)

Clearly, with a 55% share, it’s evident why Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ) would want to acquire the remaining 45% of this business. It is a cash cow, and the operating profit gained from the acquisition would pay for the $130 billion buyout price fairly quickly. Not to mention, Verizon would become very cheap following the acquisition.

Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ) trades at just 1.1 times sales and 15 times next year’s earnings. This acquisition might make Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ) more attractive to investors from a valuation point of view.

What about Vodafone?

For Vodafone Group Plc (ADR) (NASDAQ:VOD), $130 billion (nearly half paid in cash) would pay off its $66 billion in debt and add to its $20 billion cash position. While Vodafone would lose the majority of its $71.4 billion in revenue, Bloomberg reports that part of the deal, either now or later, will include Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ)’s 23% stake in Vodafone Italia, worth $5.3 billion to Vodafone.

Therefore, Vodafone Group Plc (ADR) (NASDAQ:VOD) may become expensive relative to its revenue and income, but with a market cap of just $154 billion, the $130 billion it receives will allow the company operational flexibility moving forward. Not to mention, Vodafone would have the healthiest balance sheet among telecom giants.

What’s beneath the Surface?

The fact that Vodafone will become smaller, Verizon becomes larger, and Vodafone becomes cash-rich brings up an interesting point, which is the amount of additional capital brought to the global telecom sector.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Verizon plans to fund $60 billion of the acquisition via debt, and that it is meeting with up to 10 different banks to raise the $60 billion. This means that $60 billion of new telecom money will be introduced to the sector, or to Vodafone.

Sure, Vodafone Group Plc (ADR) (NASDAQ:VOD) will receive Verizon’s $5.7 billion in cash and its share in Vodafone Italia, but the $60 billion in cash is new money. Vodafone Group Plc (ADR) (NASDAQ:VOD) will then turn its focus on Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East, all regions where Vodafone has a large presence.

However, investors will want to see action on behalf of Vodafone, and I find it highly unlikely that it will sit on its $130 billion. This can lead to large build-outs — expansion which directly benefits the companies that are in those regions with the resources to grow Vodafone’s network.

Page 1 of 2

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!