We have been compiling hedge fund returns in 2011 for the past couple of weeks. We gathered returns for more than 60 hedge funds we are tracking. Here are the 10 top hedge funds in 2011:
1. Chase Coleman – Tiger Global: Chase Coleman’s Tiger Global returned 45% through the end of October.
2. Carl Icahn: Icahn was one of the most successful hedge fund managers and returned 35% in 2011.
3. Jim Simons – Renaissance: Renaissance Institutional Equities gained 1.97% from November 30 to December 23. The fund was also up 34.66% through December 23rd.
4. Ray Dalio – Bridgewater Associates: Ray Dalio’s successful fund gained 25% through the end of November.
5. Ken Griffin – Citadel: Ken Griffin returned 20.4% in 2011.
6. David E. Shaw – D.E. Shaw: David Shaw’s Oculus Fund gained 19% through the end of October.
7. Philippe Laffont – Coatue Capital: Laffont returned 16.9% through the end of October.
8. John Thaler – JAT Capital: JAT Capital had generated a 38% return at its peak in early September. Betting on Netflix didn’t help the fund in the fourth quarter. JAT is still up 14% through mid-December.
9. Hugh Hendry – Eclectica Asset Management: Hugh Hendry’s Eclectica gained 11.7% through the end of October. The fund returned 2.7% in 2010.
10. Alan Howard – Brevan Howard: Brevan Howard Master gained 10.8% through the end of October.