Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Tiger Pacific Raises Exposure to These Chinese Stocks; Buys Alibaba, Sells JD

Page 1 of 2

Tiger Pacific Capital is an Asia-focused hedge fund, which was seeded by billionaire Julian Robertson. The fund was founded by Run Ye, Junji Takegami and Hoyon Hwang, all three of whom had been previously employed at Tiger Asia Management, which had $1.2 billion in assets under management before it was shut down in August 2012 due to a regulatory probe in Hong Kong.

According to its last 13F filing, Tiger Pacific had an equity portfolio worth $110.18 million at the end of June, 67% of which was invested in tech stocks and the remaining 33% was allocated to the Financial sector. However, it’s important to mention that the fund had just five holdings at the end of the last quarter. Tiger Pacific increased its exposure to the majority of its holdings, as well as initiated a stake in Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE:BABA) and closed its stake in JD.Com Inc (ADR) (NASDAQ:JD)

At Insider Monkey, we track around 740 hedge funds and institutional investors. Through extensive backtests, we have determined that imitating some of the stocks that these investors are collectively bullish on can help retail investors generate double digits of alpha per year. The key is to focus on the small-cap picks of these funds, which are usually less followed by the broader market and allow for larger price inefficiencies (see more details about our small-cap strategy).

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE:BABA), homepage on a monitor screen through a magnifying glass, retail, group, page

Gil C /

During the second quarter, Tiger Pacific sold its entire stake in JD.Com Inc (ADR) (NASDAQ:JD), which had contained 276,305 shares at the end of March. The move comes amid a 22% loss registered by’s stock in the second quarter, which was affected by lower-than-expected sales and a slowdown in GMV growth reported for the first three months of the year, among other things. In other news, earlier this month, JD.Com Inc (ADR) (NASDAQ:JD) announced that it has entered into a strategic partnership with Bacardi and will become its strategic e-commerce partner for the full line of its products in China. Of the 749 funds in our database at the end of the June quarter, 51 were long JD.Com, holding $6.66 billion worth of stock, which represented 34.60% of the float. The company saw a significant decline in popularity as a quarter earlier 73 funds had amassed $9.11 billion worth of shares.

Follow Inc (NASDAQ:JD)
Trade (NASDAQ:JD) Now!

On the other hand, Tiger Pacific initiated a position in Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE:BABA) and held 166,546 shares valued at $13.24 million at the end of the quarter; the position was its fourth-largest in terms of value. Last week, Alibaba said that it is not considering to buy back its 15% stake held by Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO) as it could face a  hefty U.S. tax bill. Alibaba’s shares have returned nearly 30% so far this year. At the end of the June quarter, 69 funds from our database held $5.51 billion worth of Alibaba shares, which represented 2.80% of the float, compared to 67 funds with stakes worth $5.13 billion at the end of March.

Follow Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA)
Trade (NYSE:BABA) Now!

On the next page, we are going to discuss three stocks that represented Tiger Pacific’s largest holdings as the fund was heading into the third quarter.

Page 1 of 2

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!