Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Steven Wishnia’s Highland Capital Management Discloses Top 3 Picks For Q4

Page 1 of 2

In its latest 13F form filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Steven Wishnia’s Highland Capital Management LLC disclosed its top three picks as of the end of 2014. The investment firm revealed Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE:MRK) as its largest position, accounting for more than 5.6% of its equity portfolio. The other two stocks Mr. Wishnia’s company is betting heavily on this quarter are Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT) and Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL).

Merck MRK

360b /

Highland Capital Management LLC is an investment advisory firm that focuses primarily on managing equity and fixed income portfolios. The company was founded in 1987 and is currently headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee. Despite only counting with an investment team of six professionals, Highland Capital Management has amassed an equity portfolio valued at around $534 million. Around 30% of the companies it invests in operate in the finance industry, while the remaining 70% of its holdings are highly diversified.  With Steven Wishnia as President and Managing Director, the firm has achieved a solid long-term performance. Apart from founding the predecessor company to Highland Capital Management Corp, Mr Wishnia gathered extensive experience working at SC Securities and Delphi Management Corporation.

Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE:MRK) is a $177 billion market cap drug manufacturer and a huge player in the healthcare industry. The company offers prescription medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, animal health, and consumer care products, providing health care solutions for patients all around the world. Last month the pharmaceutical company made headlines, when it announced it would acquire Cubist Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ:CBST), while absorbing its net debt of $1.1 billion. Despite the negative impact of this announcement, which saw Merck’s stock drop from around $62 to $57 per share in just one week, investors remain highly bullish regarding its future performance. In 2014, the pharmaceutical company gained around 14%, almost doubling the Dow Jones Industrial Average’s 7.5% annual gain. Hence, Mr. Wishnia’s firm surely benefited from having Merck as its largest equity position for over a year.

Naturally, Highland Capital Management is not the only institutional investor with a stake in Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE:MRK). Ken Fisher’s Fisher Assset Management for example, holds a position of more than 6.5 million shares. Ken Griffin’s Citadel Investment Group is also bullish regarding the stock, with holdings amounting to around 2.1 million shares.

The second largest holding disclosed by Mr. Wishnia’s investment advisory firm in its latest 13F filing is Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT), with a position of 385,300 shares. The huge technology company displayed a great performance last year, with stock prices climbing 24.5% in 2014. Hence, it comes as no surprise that the investment firm held this stock amongst its top 3 picks.

Page 1 of 2

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!