Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Is the iPhone 5C Not Selling Enough?

This is the first year that Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) has chosen to introduce two new iPhone models. The iPhone 5C was supposed to have generally the same parts as last year’s iPhone 5, but comes in a new plastic casing available in different colors. The new model was supposed to be a step away from the high-end considering its price, and to differentiate from the company’s flagship aluminum iPhone 5S, which exclusively has a TouchID fingerprint sensor for secure access. At the moment of its launch, some market watchers predicted that the iPhone 5C would find greater success in the long run. However, Apple is now reducing its iPhone 5C production.


Foxconn and Pegatron

Recently, Apple lowered iPhone 5C orders to Pegatron Technology by 20 percent and those to Foxconn Electronics by nearly one-third for the 5S. Today, it has been reported that Foxconn will stop production of the iPhone 5C at its factory in Zhengzhou, northern China, and shift the capacity to iPhone 5S, according to anonymous industry sources. However, some say that the company will not stop production of the iPhone 5C but only reduce its weekly output slightly. To this moment, Foxconn has declined to comment.

Foxconn has been Apple’s primary assembly partners for years, while Pegatron “pushed” its way in with a contract to build both the iPhone and the iPad mini. Reportedly, each company will handle about 30 percent of orders for Apple’s iPhone 5C, while the other will take care of the remaining 70 percent respectively. But really, what is the deal with the iPhone 5C?

Weak sales

Apparently, the new plastic Apple iPhone has experienced less-than-stellar sales since it was launched in September. Plus, as we have said before, the “C” in its name does not stand for “cheap.” The price both for selling and producing it are high. Costs associated with the ramp-up in production of this device are reported to have affected Pegatron’s bottom line, as the company reported lower-than-expected 3Q net profits on Monday. Although the order cutbacks have done their share of contribution to this phenomenon as well.

Is that all, folks?

“Weak sales” can be a not so solid argument to support the reason why Apple is really reducing its iPhone 5C production. On the one hand, when reporting its handset business, the company does not break down figures on a model-by-model basis, citing competitive reasons. That means we can’t really know to what extent the sales of the iPhone 5C affect the numbers we see. But do numbers lie? The iPhone 5C and 5S went on sale on the same day and reached sales of 9 million.

Even more, it was reported last week that the company will be adding new suppliers for the iPhone 5C and iPad mini to boost the production in 2014. So, there’s another reason to add as to why Apple has been reducing and redirecting Foxconn’s and Pegatron production on iPhone 5C, rather than just assuming it’s not selling out.

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!