Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Hedge Fund Performance Persistence

Hedge fund performance numbers are closely followed by investors and the media. Is past performance an indicator of future results? Of course past performance is no guarantee of future results, but past performance may correlate with future performance.

Vikas Agarwal is an associate professor of finance at Georgia State University and he has published a bunch of articles about hedge funds in the top journals such as Journal of Finance, Review of Financial Studies, and Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis. Vikas Agarwal and Narayan Y. Naik published a 2000 paper in Journal of Alternative Investments analyzing the quarterly performance persistence in hedge funds. They classified hedge funds as “winners” in each quarter if they manage to beat the average return in their strategy. Their paper answers the following questions:

What is the probability that a winner in one quarter will be a winner in the following quarter?

What is the probability that a loser in one quarter will be a loser in the following quarter?

The results support the thesis that there is short term hedge fund performance persistance. In their sample 54.3% of winners will keep outperforming the other funds in that strategy whereas 45.7% of winners will disappoint in the following quarter. The results are stronger for losers. 57% of losers will keep delivering disappointing results in the following quarter and only 43% of them will outperform. Past hedge fund performance is no guarantee of future success, but it may be an indicator.

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!