Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Geron Corporation (GERN) Earnings: An Early Look – BioTime, Inc. (BTX), StemCells, Inc. (STEM)

Earnings season is winding down, with most companies already having reported their quarterly results. But there are still some companies left to report, and Geron Corporation (NASDAQ:GERN) is about to release its quarterly earnings. The key to making smart investment decisions with stocks releasing their quarterly reports is to anticipate how they’ll do before they announce results, leaving you fully prepared to respond quickly to whatever inevitable surprises arise. That way, you’ll be less likely to make an uninformed knee-jerk reaction to news that turns out to be exactly the wrong move.

Geron Corporation (NASDAQ:GERN)Geron Corporation (NASDAQ:GERN) is arguably best known not for what it did do but what it didn’t do. Having originally been involved in stem-cell research, Geron Corporation (NASDAQ:GERN) decided to give up on the promising but controversial area. Let’s take an early look at what’s been happening with Geron Corporation (NASDAQ:GERN) over the past quarter and what we’re likely to see in its quarterly report on Tuesday.

Stats on Geron

Analyst EPS Estimate ($0.14)
Year-Ago EPS ($0.19)
Revenue Estimate $500,000
Change From Year-Ago Revenue 99%
Earnings Beats in Past 4 Quarters 3

Source: Yahoo! Finance.

What’s been happening with Geron this quarter?
Analysts haven’t changed their estimates on Geron one bit, given that the company has so little revenue coming in and has relatively predictable expenses. The stock has risen nearly 40% since early December, but that’s been only a short respite from much longer-term declines over the years.

Geron Corporation (NASDAQ:GERN) drew a lot of attention when it decided in 2011 to stop its stem-cell research. Since then, it has struggled to find a buyer for its stem-cell assets, and in January, Geron finally accepted a deal in which tiny biotech BioTime, Inc. (NYSEMKT:BTX) offered to contribute $35 million in cash and stock to a subsidiary in exchange for a 79% stake, leaving Geron Corporation (NASDAQ:GERN) shareholders with the other 21%. Given the challenges that StemCells, Inc. (NASDAQ:STEM) has had in moving forward with stem-cell products, it’s hard to fault Geron for giving up on the difficult area.

But Geron’s attempts to move in other directions haven’t been very successful. Back in September, the company cancelled a clinical trial looking at its imetelstat treatment for breast cancer, and it chose not to put the drug into a trial for treating non-small-cell lung cancer either. Moreover, in December, the company announced a failure with its GRN1005 prospect, which didn’t produce the desired effect against brain metastases in breast-cancer patients.

In Geron Corporation (NASDAQ:GERN)’s quarterly report, it needs to elaborate more on the successful data it reported back in December for imetelstat’s impact on a blood disorder called essential thrombocythemia. Although the indication obviously isn’t as high-status as breast cancer, it could still support what could become much greater revenue for Geron in the long run.

The article Geron Earnings: An Early Look originally appeared on and is written by Dan Caplinger.

Fool contributor Dan Caplinger has no position in any stocks mentioned. You can follow him on Twitter: @DanCaplinger. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned.

Copyright © 1995 – 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!