Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Federal Realty Investment Trust (FRT), Realty Income Corp (O): Slow and Steady Sources of Income

Page 1 of 2

Federal Realty Investment Trust (NYSE:FRT)Increases in rents over time is a safe bet, especially since more people are moving to the cities. Owning companies that specialize in owning buildings in high demand have time on their side to raise the rent on their tenants.

Pricing power

Federal Realty Investment Trust (NYSE:FRT) focuses its property portfolio on high density urban areas in California and Pennsylvania metro areas. Pricing power is exactly what Federal Realty Investment Trust (NYSE:FRT) brings to the table. This company holds properties in areas that are growing in population and rents out to stable customers like Whole Foods. Even when a renter from Federal Realty Investment Trust (NYSE:FRT) runs into troubled times and has to cancel a lease, Federal Realty’s properties are able to attract renters almost immediately.

This overt pricing power has been great for Federal Realty. However, this same pricing power has also driven up the price of its stock, making it less of a desirable investment. Federal Realty Investment Trust (NYSE:FRT) has seen its stock price rise over 50% over the past 5 years giving investors a 9% return of capital gains. Meanwhile, the dividends returned an average of 3.2% per year over those same period, giving investors a total of 12.2% return without re-investing dividends.

Federal Realty Investment Trust (NYSE:FRT) is currently yielding a meager 2.8%, but the location of its properties does offer this company greater security than most REITs in the consumer staples space. This is a premium company that comes with a premium price tag. If there is a pull back, investors should look to pick up some of this stock when it goes on sale.

Tax considerations

REITs throw off large amounts of capital as they are required to pay out 90% of their earnings or more. As a pass through entity, REITs are taxed at an individuals personal tax rate as opposed to the dividend favored tax rate of 15%. With this knowledge, an investor would be better off holding their high yielding REITs in a traditional or Roth IRA.

Collapse in REIT prices

Since the Fed recently announced that they are considering ending their bond buying program, fixed income asset prices have collapsed. Realty Income Corp (NYSE:O) has had its stock price collapse by over 10% in the past month.

The silver lining in all of this is that if you are in the market to buy, now is a great time to pick up this company. Realty Income Corp (NYSE:O) is also known as “The Monthly Dividend Company” since this REIT pays out its dividends on a monthly basis. If someone is looking for consistent monthly income that will rise over time, this stock is for you.

Realty Income Corp (NYSE:O) owns a diverse set of properties that rents out to an equally diverse set of clients. This helps the company diversify its revenue stream and not rely too heavily on any sector of the economy. The company is currently yielding 4.7%, and renews approximately 11% of its properties each year, giving it some flexibility for the dividend to outpace a dramatic uptick in inflation.

In addition to collecting a monthly check, this company has also returned nearly 90% price appreciation over the past 5 years. That is a 14% compounded return, without counting dividends, even taking into consideration the recent pullback.

Stable bill payers

Government Properties Income Trust (NYSE:GOV) is a REIT that, like its name suggests holds properties that it rents out to government entities. This conservative company has entire buildings rented out to Federal, State and local governments, as well as government agencies like the IRS.

Page 1 of 2
Loading Comments...