Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Citigroup Inc (C), United Continental Holdings Inc (UAL): The Top Two Stocks in David Tepper’s Portfolio

Page 1 of 2

Citigroup Inc (NYSE:C)David Tepper, the founder of Appaloosa Management, has delivered extremely high annualized returns of 27.4% over the past 15 years, beating the S&P 500’s annualized return of just 6.8%. He currently has 69 stocks in his portfolio with a total market value of more than $4.7 billion.

As of March 2013, his top two positions were Citigroup Inc (NYSE:C) and United Continental Holdings Inc (NYSE:UAL). Citigroup Inc (NYSE:C), with more than 8.5 million shares, was his biggest position, accounting for 8% of his total portfolio. United Continental Holdings Inc (NYSE:UAL) ranked second, representing around 5.8% of his total portfolio.

An impressive first quarter

In the first quarter of 2013, Citigroup Inc (NYSE:C) witnessed a decent year-over-year revenue growth of 6% to nearly $20.5 billion. Although net interest revenue declined 1% to $11.88 billion, its non-interest revenue jumped 15%, from $7.46 billion in the first quarter last year to more than $8.6 billion. Net income came in at more than $3.73 billion, or $1.23 per share, 30% higher than net income of $2.88 billion, or $0.95 per share, reported last year.

Its deposits increased by 3%, from $906 billion to more than $933.7 billion, while the book value per common share reached $62.51. The net interest margin in the first quarter of 2013 stayed at around 2.95% while the return on average common stockholders’ equity was 8.21%. The market values Citigroup Inc (NYSE:C) at only 9.7 times forward earnings and at only 82% of its book value.

Bank of America Corp (NYSE:BAC) offers a decent total yield and is cheaply valued

Both Bank of America Corp (NYSE:BAC) and Citigroup’s capital plan was approved by the Fed in March 2013. While Bank of America planned to buy back $5 billion in common stock and redeem $5.5 billion in preferred stock, Citigroup Inc (NYSE:C) intended to repurchase around $1.2 billion worth of shares. At the current trading price, Bank of America Corp (NYSE:BAC) offers shareholders a dividend yield of 0.3%. With a $5 billion share repurchase plan, investors could get an additional yield of 3.4%. Thus, the total yield of Bank America could reach 3.7%. Citigroup, with a $1.2 billion share repurchase, offers shareholders only around 1% as total yield.

Recently, Bank of America settled MBIA Inc. (NYSE:MBI) claims. It would pay MBIA Inc. (NYSE:MBI) around $1.6 billion in cash and remit all of its 5.7% Senior Notes due 2034. Moreover, all of its outstanding CDS protection agreements would be terminated. Because of this settlement, Bank of America would have to record $1.6 billion in charges for the first quarter of 2013, reducing its first-quarter earnings by $1.1 billion, or $0.10 per share. Bank of America, at $13.50 per share, is worth $145.6 billion on the market. It is valued at only 67% of its book value, a bit cheaper than Citigroup.

Page 1 of 2
Loading Comments...