Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Andy Hall’s Astenbeck Loses 16% in July as Oil Prices Continue to Slide

Notorious oil trader Andy Hall is facing a rough time with oil prices slump. According to various reports, citing Astenbeck Capital Management‘s letter to shareholders, the hedge fund lost around 16.6% in July. Following the decline, the value of Astenbeck’s assets declined by $500 million to some $2.8 billion. The fund has been losing money for the last couple of months, reporting a negative return of 3.3% in June. For the first six months, Astenbeck posted gains of around 1.9%.

Workers in an Oilfield Oil Drilling Halliburton HAL BHI SLB XOM CVX BP Stocks


According to Astenbeck’s 13F filing for the first quarter of 2015, the hedge fund has an equity portfolio valued at $444.53 million, up from $103.51 million a year earlier. Not surprisingly, 98% of the fund’s equity portfolio are represented by positions in energy companies. At Insider Monkey, we analyze the returns of hedge funds’ equity portfolios by computing the weighted average returns of holdings in companies with a market cap above $1.0 billion. For Astenbeck, its holdings as of the end of March, posted a negative return of 2.4% during the second quarter.

Hall also considerably reshuffled his equity portfolio during the first quarter and boosted his positions in most stocks and closed stakes in six companies. Astenbeck’s top positions are represented by EOG Resources Inc (NYSE:EOG), ConocoPhillips (NYSE:COP), and Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:APC). The fund held 717,160 shares of EOG, up by around 400% on the quarter, while in ConocoPhillips and Anadarko it disclosed ownership of 736,040 shares and 546,040 shares respectively.

Hall co-founded Astenbeck together with Occidental Petroleum Corporation in 2010. Currently he owns around 80% of the fund and Occidental holds the remaining 20%. Prior to founding Astenbeck, Hall worked as an oil trader at Citigroup and was involved in a controversy regarding his $100 million paycheck in 2009 during the financial crisis.

It’s hard to predict what Hall will do in the near future with oil prices recently hitting multi-month lows and a recovery not even on the horizon. Bullish traders were hoping that the dip would be followed by a quick recovery, but are now reviewing their expectations. However, the prices seem to be stabilizing at the current levels and oil companies have been undertaking cost-cutting measures in order to keep shareholders interested. The energy sector has gained around 6% since the beginning of the year. The S&P GSCI Commodity-Indexed Trust (GSG) is down by 17% year-to-date.

The reason why we follow hedge funds’ activities and keep an eye on their returns as well is to compare their overall performance to the returns of a particular class of stock they invest in. The general opinion is that hedge funds as a group have been underperforming for a long time, but it’s only due to their large fees and poor performance of some of their investments in large-cap companies, which are generally more efficiently priced. However, when we looked at the most popular small-cap ideas of a group of some 700 investors, we determined that they actually beat the market in the past. Moreover, since August 2012, our portfolio of 15 top small-cap ideas of the hedge funds we track, managed to return 123%, beating Mr. Market by some 65 percentage points (read more details here).

Disclosure: none

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!