Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Alex Sacerdote Quickly Brings Textura Corp (TXTR) Back Into His Portfolio

Page 1 of 2

According to a recent 13G form filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Alex Sacerdote‘s Whale Rock Capital Management has re-opened a position in Textura Corp (NYSE:TXTR) of some 1.26 million shares, after the fund disposed of its entire holding amounting to 1.32 million shares during the first quarter. The current holding represents 4.92% of the company’s outstanding shares and is valued at $36.54 million based on the current stock price.


Prior to launching Whale Rock in 2006, Sacerdote worked at Fidelity Investments, Interactive Imaginations, and Smith Barney. According to the latest 13F filing of the fund, the money manager, who earned a degree from Harvard Business School, has 90% of Whale Rock’s holdings invested in the technology sector, while consumer discretionary forms the remaining 10% of the $976.19 million public equity portfolio.

Alex Sacerdote
Alex Sacerdote
Whale Rock Capital Management

Most investors can’t outperform the stock market by individually picking stocks because stock returns aren’t evenly distributed. A randomly picked stock has only a 35% to 45% chance (depending on the investment horizon) to outperform the market. There are a few exceptions, one of which is when it comes to purchases made by corporate insiders. Academic research has shown that certain insider purchases historically outperformed the market by an average of seven percentage points per year. This effect is more pronounced in small-cap stocks. Another exception is the small-cap stock picks of hedge funds. Our research has shown that the 15 most popular small-cap stocks among hedge funds outperformed the market by nearly a percentage point per month between 1999 and 2012. We have been forward testing the performance of these stock picks since the end of August 2012 and they have returned more than 135% over the ensuing 34 months, outperforming the S&P 500 Index by nearly 80 percentage points (read the details here). The trick is focusing only on the best small-cap stock picks of funds, not their large-cap stock picks which are extensively covered by analysts and followed by almost everybody.

Textura Corp (NYSE:TXTR) is one of the leading providers of collaboration software for the construction industry. The solutions ease data sharing and exchange capabilities during various stages of the construction project lifecycle. Some of the products include the invoice generator software, Construction Payment Management, and an Early Payment Program, which allows users to make early payments to subcontractors with the financial intermediation of Greensill Capital.

Smart money pulled itself out of Textura Corp (NYSE:TXTR) in significant numbers during the first quarter, which as mentioned, included Sacerdote himself. Among the hedge funds that we track, just five had positions, with an aggregate investment of $27.56 million at the end of March compared to eight firms with $71.03 million in holdings at the end of the previous quarter. Steve Cohen‘s Point72 Asset Management and Weatherbie Capital, managed by Matthew A. Weatherbie, were the largest stockholders of Textura Corp (NYSE:TXTR) among them, with respective holdings of 406,900 shares valued at $11.06 million and about 263,000 shares valued at $7.15 million, both as of the end of March.

Page 1 of 2

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!