Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Airgas, Inc. (ARG), Air Products & Chemicals, Inc. (APD), Praxair, Inc. (PX): Ballooning Returns or a Bunch of Hot Air?

Page 1 of 2

The manufacturing sector expanded in July for the second straight month, with the Purchasing Managers Index — a gauge on manufacturing activity — rising 4.5% from June levels to 55.4. Some argue the U.S. is on the cusp of a manufacturing renaissance, one that could rival pre-recession levels. Nonetheless, millions of manufacturing jobs have been lost in the past decade, and according to Bloomberg , the recovery in manufacturing has been painfully slow.

Industrial companies that cater to the manufacturing sector are seeing signs of progress — but has that growth stalled? To find out, let’s look specifically at companies that produce packaged gasses such as helium, hydrogen and nitrogen for major sectors of the economy, including energy, health care, food and retail, and construction.

A domestic play

Airgas, Inc. (NYSE:ARG) has a 25% market share in the $13 billion U.S. packaged gasses and welding-equipment market.  At a recent industrial conference hosted by Jefferies, Airgas chief executive Michael Molinini offered his industry outlook.

While manufacturing conditions are on the upswing from the recession that lasted through 2009, the most robust part of that recovery, when businesses were initially coming off the sidelines and beginning to deploy capital, has passed. Now there are pockets of strength, such as the energy sector — but other areas such as construction still haven’t quite returned to pre-recession levels.

Airgas, Inc. (NYSE:ARG)

Some 65% of Airgas, Inc. (NYSE:ARG)’s revenue comes from the sale of gasses, with the remaining 35% stemming from welding equipment and safety products. Over the next three years, the company expects to grow its sales by about 6% each year, driven by higher volumes and pricing. Airgas saw its free cash flow jump 14% in 2013, and finished its first quarter with $100 million in cash.

But the non-residential construction market, such as offices, manufacturing, and the transportation sector, is holding Airgas, Inc. (NYSE:ARG) back. This area contributes 16% to the company’s overall sales. As Molinini explained, there aren’t many shovels breaking ground. Worse, 98% of Airgas’ revenue is generated in the U.S., and so it’s not like the company can look to non-residential construction activity abroad to offset weakness.

Indeed, last month, the non-residential construction sector slashed nearly 10,000 jobs while residential construction added more than 6,000 new jobs, according to The Wall Street Journal. The divide could be blamed in part to the sequester, as construction budgets have been cut in the public sector . So until this market segment picks up and announced projects materialize, non-residential construction will continue to be a drag on Airgas, Inc. (NYSE:ARG)’ revenue performance.

Bitter rival

Air Products & Chemicals, Inc. (NYSE:APD) is a much larger competitor to Airgas, Inc. (NYSE:ARG), with nearly double the revenue. Yet Air Products’ gross margins are more than 50% lower than Airgas’s, which suggests that a smaller proportion of its sales ($9.1 billion in 2012, down 1% year-over-year) is reaching the bottom line.

The company is well aware of this, and blames slow global manufacturing growth for its recent performance. In its latest quarterly earnings report, Air Products & Chemicals, Inc. (NYSE:APD)’ chairman and chief executive John McGlade stated: “…We are actively assessing additional actions that we can take that would result in increased value to our shareholders. While our review continues, we have already identified further actions we expect to take to improve margins and returns.”

Activist investor Bill Ackman already muscled his way into the company, taking a 9.8% stake only weeks ago. Air Products & Chemicals, Inc. (NYSE:APD) had caught wind of Ackman’s plans; it implemented a poison pill to prevent Ackman from taking a 10% position in the company, and ultimately taking over Air Products.

Page 1 of 2
Loading Comments...