General Mills, Inc. (GIS), ConAgra Foods, Inc. (CAG): Volume Growth Remains a Headwind for These Companies

Page 1 of 2

The processed food industry has been going through tough times lately as volumes are deteriorating. Rising price levels and weak economic conditions are considered to be the primary reasons behind the volume declines. I believe that declining volumes also signal that developed markets have reached their maturity level and there are less growth opportunities offered by these markets.

Among the top 20 food categories, sales volume decreased for 14 categories over the past year. The $70 billion frozen food industry needs to come up with the solution for the problem; otherwise things can turn out really messy for the industry.

The volume pullback

General Mills, Inc. (NYSE:GIS)

General Mills, Inc. (NYSE:GIS) has been losing market share, which has adversely affected the stock price. In the first quarter of 2013, the company lost market share in six of its top 10 categories, with highest share loss of more than 4% in the yogurt category as compared to prior year. In the last month, General Mills, Inc. (NYSE:GIS)’s sales and volumes have dropped by 1.4% and 0.5%, respectively. However, if we look at last 12 weeks’ stats, the company enjoyed sales growth of 0.3% and volume surge of 1.9%, mainly due to 1.5% reduction in prices. Two food categories, snacks and canned soup, have experienced share gains of 9% and 8%, respectively, in the last twelve weeks as the company improved its distribution channels.

Sales volume growth has also been an ongoing concern for ConAgra Foods, Inc. (NYSE:CAG). The company has realized the sales growth problem, and intends to boost its advertisement spending to support and grow its sales volume in the given circumstances. In 3Q 2013, the company registered flat organic sales on a year over year basis, as volumes were down 3%, offset by a price rise of 3%.

However, in the recent twelve weeks, the company suffered sales and volume drop of 1.7% and 0.6%, respectively, despite a 1.1% reduction in prices.

Volume drop persists in the North American grocery business of Kraft Foods Group Inc (NASDAQ:KRFT). In the last one quarter, the company’s volumes have taken a hit, going down approximately 8%, but partially offset by a price increase of 7%. Cheese and Nuts have been the only sources of growth for Kraft Foods Group Inc (NASDAQ:KRFT) lately. Both the categories contribute 26% and 5%, respectively, and total revenue and sales volumes were up 4% and 9%, respectively in the last quarter.

Page 1 of 2
Comments
Insider Monkey Small Cap Strategy
Insider Monkey Small Cap Strategy

Insider Monkey beat the market by 52 percentage points in 24 months. Our beta is only 1.2 (don't click this link if beating the market isn't important to you).

Lists

The Best B-Boy Movies

Most Awesome Hip Hop Documentaries

Foods That Stain Your Teeth

Richest Doctors in the World

The Best Movie Sountracks Ever

The Highest Grossing Musicals on Broadway

The Most Successful Reality TV Stars

Cheapest Cities to Visit in the US

Most Expensive Summer Camps

Most Expensive Animals in the World

Most Expensive Specialty Crops in the World

Movies That Took Ages to Make

The Longest Hollywood Films Ever Made

Most Expensive Concert Stages

The Richest Bands of all Time

10 Most Corrupt Countries 2013 List

10 Countries with the Highest Quality of Life Index

Most Expensive Mattresses in the World

5 Smallest Countries by Land Area

The Ultimate Heartbreak Songs

Richest Teenagers in the World

10 Most Haunted Places in America

10 Best Places to Retire in Florida East Coast

Top 10 Places to See Before You Die

Top 8 Countries in the World Where Justice Prevails

10 Richest States in America

15 Wealthiest Countries in the World

Richest Singers in the World

Most Expensive Tasting Menu in New York City

Most Expensive Baby Items in the World

Most Expensive Hotel Suites in Vegas

Most Expensive Brunch in New York City

Most Expensive Beef Cuts in the World

25 Best Colleges to Get a Job

Top 10 US Supermarkets

The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the World to Visit

Most Expensive Xbox Games

Top 11 Cities Where Billionaires Live

Top 10 Most Charitable Companies in America

Most Expensive Seafood in the World

The 10 Wildest Conspiracy Theories

The 10 Best Job Markets in the US

Top 10 Accounting Scandals of All Time

The 25 Biggest Cities in the World

Top 10 Best Paying Virtual Jobs

Most Expensive Leather Shoes in the World

Top 6 Things to Buy in March

The 10 Most Stressful Jobs in America – 2014 List

Top 10 Jobs for Introverted People

Top 10 Honeymoon Destinations in the World

Subscribe

Enter your email:

Delivered by FeedBurner

X

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 47.6% in its first year! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!