Dear Valued Visitor,

We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker software.

Although advertisements on the web pages may degrade your experience, our business certainly depends on them and we can only keep providing you high-quality research based articles as long as we can display ads on our pages.

To view this article, you can disable your ad blocker and refresh this page or simply login.

We only allow registered users to use ad blockers. You can sign up for free by clicking here or you can login if you are already a member.

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (BABA), Bitauto Hldg Ltd (BITA), Infosys Ltd ADR (INFY): Horseman Capital Management’s New Picks

Page 1 of 2

This Wednesday, John Horseman’s Horseman Capital Management filed its 13F Form with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, disclosing its equity holdings as of the end of the fourth quarter of 2014. I will be taking a closer look at the three largest new positions held by the hedge fund, which include Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE:BABA), Bitauto Hldg Ltd (NYSE:BITA), and Infosys Ltd ADR (NYSE:INFY).

Horseman Capital Management was founded by John Horseman in 2000 as an investment company focused on providing money management expertise covering numerous equity strategies.  The privately owned firm employs a small number of experts and has assets under management exceeding the $1.8 billion mark. Most of Horseman Capital Management’s equity portfolio consists of investments in companies with a market capitalization of $5 billion or more, along with some mid-cap firms. In addition to employing a top-down and disciplined approach to investing, the fund makes use of leverage, futures, and options to make its investments. Around 60% of the firm’s equity portfolio, which is valued at around $248 million, consists of finance equities, with companies belonging to the information technology sector accounting for around three fourths of the remaining 40%.

Although Horseman Capital Management’s top 10 holdings achieved returns above the 85% mark, the entire equity portfolio only managed to deliver a turnover of 42% during the fourth quarter. The fund’s top picks include Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE:GS), Wells Fargo & Co (NYSE:WFC), and Bank of New York Mellon Corp (NYSE:BK) – the largest position in its portfolio. Furthermore, the firm closed its position in Comerica Incorporated (NYSE:CMA), which previously accounted for 6.8% of the total value of the equity portfolio.

One of the new positions disclosed by Horseman Capital Management was Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE:BABA). According to the 13F Form, the investment firm purchased 26,000 shares of the company for a total value of $2.7 million. Alibaba Group is a $241.1 billion market cap specialty retailer from the People’s Republic of China, which operates as an online and mobile commerce company. In addition to web-based shopping platforms, the firm provides pay-for-performance, display marketing services, real-time online advertising, and data management platforms. Recently Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE:BABA) announced an investment in AdChina, making it the majority shareholder in China’s largest digital advertising technology platform. Apart from Horseman Capital Management, Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE:BABA) is also backed by Andreas Halvorsen’s Viking Global. With a position of around 11.38 million shares, the hedge fund continues to be the company’s largest institutional shareholder.

Alibaba, is BABA a good stock to buy, ChinaVision, The Ferryman, Wong Kar-wai, Tony Leung, Zhang Jiajia,

Page 1 of 2

Biotech Stock Alert - 20% Guaranteed Return in One Year

Hedge Funds and Insiders Are Piling Into

One of 2015's best hedge funds and two insiders snapped up shares of this medical device stock recently. We believe its transformative and disruptive device will storm the $3+ billion market and help it achieve 500%-1000% gains in 3 years.

Get your FREE REPORT and the details of our 20% return guarantee today.

Subscribe me to Insider Monkey's Free Daily Newsletter
This is a FREE report from Insider Monkey. Credit Card is NOT required.
Loading Comments...

Thanks! An email with instructions is sent to !

Your email already exists in our database. Click here to go to your subscriptions

Insider Monkey returned 102% in 3 years!! Wondering How?

Download a complete edition of our newsletter for free!